As homeowners, it’s easy to get caught up in the daily grind, and the thought of our HVAC system working properly never really crosses our minds – until there’s a problem, that is. Sometimes, we simply put things off or try to cut corners to save some money every month, but in the long run you’ll only end up paying more. So, we’ve compiled a list of some of the common HVAC mistakes people make that affect how well your system works, your family’s comfort and your home’s energy efficiency, too.
5 Common Heating and Cooling Mistakes
These HVAC mistakes include:
- Not scheduling annual HVAC maintenance. Annual maintenance on your HVAC system is crucial to ensuring its efficiency and longevity. A professional will check all the components and controls, lubricate the motors and bearings, tighten all electrical connections and inspect the thermostat. Properly maintaining your system helps you avoid unexpected breakdowns and extra costs.
- Hiding the outdoor unit because it’s an eyesore. We get it; that bulky outdoor unit looks awkward in your nicely landscaped yard. This is why some people choose to try to cover it up or conceal it behind thick shrubbery or other objects. However, blocking the system can cause issues with the ventilation and clog it, so it’s best to leave some open space around it.
- Installing your thermostat in the wrong place. Your programmable thermostat is a key component in improving your home’s energy efficiency, but if it’s installed in the wrong spot it may actually cost you more. The thermostat should be placed on an interior wall, out of sunlight, and away from appliances, hot lamps and furniture.
- Ignoring those weird thumps, bumps or smells from your system. If your HVAC system consistently makes sounds it shouldn’t, or there’s a weird odor emanating from the vents, don’t ignore them! This is especially true if the noises or smells get worse as time goes on. Strange sounds and smells are a good indicator that something isn’t working properly, like a loose blower wheel, bad motor bearings, or maybe even an animal got stuck in your unit!
- Forgetting to swap out your filter regularly. With every change of season, or every three months, it’s recommended that you change your filter. Dirty filters affect the air quality in your home, increase your energy bills, and can impact not only how well your HVAC system functions, but can also decrease its lifespan.
It is time to schedule your annual HVAC maintenance check? The team at Efficient Heating and Cooling is here to ensure you’re not making any of the above mistakes! If you’re in the greater Cleveland area, contact our team today! Or, give us a call at 216-663-6462.