Cold Weather Tips To Help You Save Money
The weather is now colder, and you feel like you are constantly looking at the thermostat trying to keep the house warm without draining your bank account for the colder months. Know that you are not alone, most households have this same issue throughout the winter months. Check out our list of 8 tips to help keep you warm this winter without going broke.
1. Open your curtains. If you live in a place where the sun is shining during the winter months use that to your advantage. Sunlight brightens and warms up a room.
2. Lower your thermostat at night and when you are not home. Bumping your thermostat down 2 to 8 degrees when you are sleeping or out of the house. No need to heat a house when no one is home, and we tend to sleep better in a cooler room. If you are a cold sleeper add blankets or warmer sheets.
3. Wear layers. While this isn’t ideal for everyone, a saying in our house growing up was “you can’t tell me you are cold unless you’re wearing long pants, socks, and a sweatshirt.” Layers of clothes are more or less free since they are already in your closet where turning the heat up will cost you money.
4. Keep your furnace clean. Keeping your furnace and vents properly maintained will reduce energy consumption and help you save. Check your furnace filter monthly, and replace it when needed.
5. Check your housing insulation. Hundreds of thousands of dollars in energy costs are lost each year due to escaping heat in homes due to lack of proper insulation. Insulation does not have to be expensive; check out your local hardware stores and stock up on what your house needs most.
6.Ceiling Fans! Use Them! Ceiling fans can be used strategically to achieve better airflow. Turning your fan on clockwise will trap heat inside to keep your rooms warmer. Keeping your ceiling fan on low will help keep the room warm.
7. Only heat the rooms that you are using, there is no need to heat guest rooms, or warmer rooms in your house, your bank account will thank you later. But remember that this must be done properly! If done correctly, you can save money by not heating the upstairs of your home for example.
8. Add a humidifier in your most used rooms in your house. When the air gets dry it feels colder, with a humidifier adding moisture to your rooms you will feel warmer.
Have more questions about saving money on heating this winter? Don’t hesitate to contact us with any service and maintenance questions.